Programs interested in joining ADI may do so as a Candidate program. Candidate programs are established nonprofit or charitable programs that are working towards achieving Accredited Member status.
The Candidate program must:
- Be a registered legal entity with charitable status (e.g. 501 (c) (3))
- Have a creditable business plan
- Have placed a minimum of five assistance dog teams, that have worked successfully for a minimum of one year
- Must meet all requirements of ADI Minimum Standards and Ethics. PLEASE read carefully before applying
- Have a website that is updated and current with all information including contact information
- Have a name that meets ADI Board approval and cannot contain any terms that could mislead the public, such as certified, accredited, approved, qualified, etc.
Upon receipt of a completed Candidate Nomination Packet, ADI Regional Board’s Candidate Review Committee (CRC) will consider all aspects of the packet. The CRC will conduct interviews with the executive director or equivalent, may request additional interviews with others within the program, and may request additional information as needed. Programs will be notified of the outcome within 6 months of the completed application being received at the ADI office.
The Candidate Nomination Packet, ALL required documentation, and non-refundable processing fee must be completed and returned to:
Assistance Dogs International
PO Box 276
Maumee, OH 43537-0276
All new Candidates must submit the following items with their request
1. A completed Candidate Nomination Application Packet
2. Proof of nonprofit status, charitable status or 501 (c) (3) designation
3. Mission Statement
4. Business Plan
5. Current Annual Budget
6. Letter from Board President in support of the nomination
7. List of board members and occupations
8. Completed Letter of Recommendation Form from a current ADI Accredited Member*.
9. Reference Letters from three (3) assistance dog clients who have worked with their assistance dog successfully for a minimum of one (1) year*.
10. Candidate Nomination Application Processing Fee (Non refundable)
* ADI Accredited Member Letter of Recommendation Form and Reference Letters must be submitted with your Candidate Nomination Application Packet in sealed envelopes. Please do not have the reference letters sent under separate cover. They will not be accepted.
Upon receipt of a completed Candidate Nomination Packet, ADI will consider all aspects of the packet. ADI will conduct interviews with the executive director or equivalent, may request additional interviews with others within the program, and may request additional information as needed. Programs will be notified of the outcome within 6 months of the completed application being received at the ADI office.
For more information about becoming a candidate, please contact:
Chris Diefenthaler, Operations Administrator